What should I do if I have a loss?

  • Your  Responsibility:  Secure the insured premises immediately to prevent further damage.
  • Notify your AGENT Promptly. Your Agent’s Contact Information Can Be Found Here.
    If you cannot get a hold of your agent, please contact Columbus Mutual at 920-885-9409.
  • Notify the police when the act causing the loss is also a violation of the law;
  • Take all reasonable steps to protect the property from further damage;
  • Submit to us a written statement of loss within 60 days after the loss or accident.

When Filing a Claim with Columbus Mutual Town Insurance, we will take the information regarding your loss.  Some questions we will ask:

  1. When did the damage occur?
  2. What, do you believe, caused the damage?  (Example:  lightning from storm on 07/23/11)
  3. What location did the damage appear?  (If you have a large farm, what address is the damage at?)
  4. Items needing immediate attention (Example:  If you have water coming in the house from a hole in the roof or downed tree sitting on the house, etc.)
  5. Phone numbers where we can reach you?  Cell numbers, work phone numbers, etc.

The agent (or CMTIC staff) will fill out the necessary paperwork and the claim will be assigned an internal claim number.

Then, the CMTIC Company Manager reviews the claim and forwards the claim to our Claims Adjustment Service. 

The claims adjustor will then contact the insured to discuss the claim and arrange (if necessary) for a visit to take photos of the damage. The claims adjustor prepares a claim report and submits it to CMTIC for our approval.

If payment of the claim is to be made, the appropriate signatures will be obtained by the Claims Adjustment Service for the paperwork. Then, CMTIC will process the claim payment and issue a check.  Sometimes a portion of the loss will be paid out and the remainder paid upon completion of the repairs.

If the our Claims Adjustment Service determines that the claim cannot be paid due to the provisions of the policy and the nature of the loss, a letter stating the reason is mailed to the insured.

Important:  If there is a lienholder on your policy for the damaged property, the lienholder’s name will appear as a joint-payee on the loss check.

Example: lightning strikes the house and puts a hole in the roof.

Damage: $7,000
Deductible: $500
Covered Loss: $6,500
Mortgagee: First National Bank

A check will be made out jointly to the Insured and First National Bank.  Then in order to cash the check, both the Insured and First National Bank will have to endorse the check.  The bank may require proof that the damage has been repaired.